ENGLISH
DEPARTURE OF THE CZECHOSLOVAK
RESIDENTS
“The Last Train” exhibition
The Krnov region has seen Slavic settlement since the early Middle Ages — the oldest
written records, from the mid-13th century, refer to the town by its Slavic name,
Kyrnow. From the 13th century onward, however, German settlers arrived as part of
the great medieval German colonization (the so-called Ostsiedlung), and Krnov
gradually became a predominantly German-speaking town. Nevertheless, it remained
politically and legally bound to the Czech state — from 1377 it was the seat of the
independent Duchy of Krnov, and in 1411 it passed permanently into the hands of the
Czech king Wenceslaus IV. The Czech presence in Krnov thus has roots far older than
one might expect in a town with such a pronouncedly German character.
Between 1918 and 1938, a minority of Czechoslovaks also lived in Krnov, a town with a
strong German majority. According to the 1930 census, the town had 23,464
inhabitants, of whom 1,876 declared Czechoslovak nationality — just under 8%. The
overwhelming majority, more than 21,400 people (91%), were German. The share of
Czechoslovaks grew noticeably during the First Republic — while in 1921 only 5.4% of
the town's population identified as Czechoslovak, by 1930 that share had nearly
doubled. This growth was driven by a deliberate state policy of strengthening the
Czechoslovak presence in the borderlands through official, teaching, and other state
positions — at the post office, on the railways, in the courts, tax offices, and schools.
The Czechoslovaks of Krnov were represented above all by minority associations. A
key role was played by the Matice opavská, a Silesia-wide organization dedicated to
Czech culture and minority education, which at the height of its activity in 1937
brought together more than seven thousand members in 85 local branches across
Silesia. Social and sporting life was organized by the Krnov branch of the Sokol
association — among its leading figures were Jan Hradil, head of the Krnov post office,
and František Čížek, director of the Krnov municipal school, who in 1934 also helped
found a sister branch in nearby Bruntál.
A symbol of the Krnov Czechoslovaks' confidence in their own future in the town was
the new building of the Czech municipal school and grammar school, constructed from
April 1937 to September 1938. Teachers looked forward to opening the new school
year in the modern building. Fate, however, decided otherwise — on 7 October 1938,
instead of the first school bell, they left, together with the rest of Krnov's
Czechoslovaks, from the now-occupied borderland. The new school thus never served
the purpose for which it had been built.
The turning point came in the autumn of 1938. After the Munich Agreement and the
occupation of the borderlands by the German army, Krnov's Czechoslovaks found
themselves reduced to a national minority with no rights whatsoever.
Theirassociations were dissolved and their property confiscated — the Matice opavská had
to move its headquarters to Slezská Ostrava, and a year later it was forcibly merged,
along with other organizations, into the Národní matice (National Matice) in Prague.
The Czech language was banned in official dealings and in public life, and
Czechoslovaks were forbidden from holding any office in state administration or at the
municipal level.
With the loss of Czechoslovak sovereignty over the territory, Krnov's Czechoslovaks
immediately lost their jobs, and the vast majority left for the interior of the country
either before the arrival of the German army or immediately afterward — most often
to Opava, Ostrava, Olomouc, or other Moravian towns, where they had to start new
lives. A smaller number were directly expelled by the German administration. The
departure affected entire families, who often had to leave home with a minimum of
possessions and no certainty of return.
After the end of the Second World War and the expulsion of the German population,
many of those who had left Krnov in 1938 returned and took part in the postwar
resettlement and reconstruction of the town. The new wave of settlement, however,
was no longer purely Czech — alongside returnees, new settlers arrived in Krnov from
Slovakia, together with Greeks fleeing the civil war and other migrants from the
interior. Krnov, for centuries a German town with deep Czech roots, thus became, after
1945, a more nationally diverse place than it had ever been in its modern history.
-- -- --
DEPORTATION OF THE JEWISH RESIDENTS
“The Last Train” exhibition
Between 1918 and 1938, the Jewish residents of Krnov formed only a tiny minority
(roughly 1% of the town's population), yet their significance far exceeded their small
numbers. Their ranks produced many lawyers, physicians, public and private officials,
and teachers, including at the Krnov secondary school (reálka). They were also
represented in the management of major local enterprises and firms. Their standing is
illustrated by a 1932 figure: of the 11 attorneys in the town, seven were Jewish, and of
the nine specialist physicians, five were Jewish. The community's economic prosperity
allowed for the establishment of foundations and significant associational activity. Its
official representative body was the Jewish Religious Community, which oversaw
religious life, kept the registers, represented the community in official matters, and
organized lectures. It was headed by Rabbi Dr. David Rudolfer (fig. 2). The most
important associations included the burial brotherhood Chevra Kadisha, the local
branch of the Zionist organization Zion, and a women's Israelite association.
The beginnings of the destruction of Krnov's Jewish community can be dated to the
second half of the 1930s, when anti-Jewish sentiment in the borderlands intensified in
direct connection with Nazi Germany's pressure to annex the border regions to the
Reich. The year 1938 proved to be the turning point — the Anschluss of Austria, the
May mobilization, Hitler's speech of 12 September, the Munich Agreement, and the
entry of German troops into Krnov on 6 October. These events led to a massive
departure of Jews and the effective disintegration of the community, which split into
three groups.
The first group consisted of those who emigrated abroad, chiefly to Great Britain,
Palestine, the USA, Sweden, South America, or the newly established Slovak Republic.
Many left as early as 1938, while others managed to do so over the following two
years. Families were often forcibly separated. Krnov's Jews abroad took part in the
struggle to restore Czechoslovakia — in the ranks of the Western armies, for example,
were Arnošt Freiberger and Hanuš Petr Eibuschitz as RAF airmen, Hugo Langschur as a
military technician, Adalbert Löwin as a reconnaissance-vehicle commander, Ludvík
Pollak as a radio mechanic, and Otto Reik as an artilleryman.
The second group comprised Jews who, after the occupation of the borderlands,
moved to the interior of the country, most often to Prague, Brno, or Ostrava. After the
proclamation of the Protectorate, however, they too found themselves trapped.
Attempts to emigrate mostly failed because of visa restrictions and set immigration
quotas. Some families managed to save at least their children — five Jewish children
from Krnov were rescued through Sir Nicholas Winton's rescue transports (Jan Bäuml,
Hanuš Petr and Štěpán Pavel Eibuschitz, Kurt Pavel and Doris Lilli Eisler). Those who
remained in the Protectorate were subsequently subjected to anti-Jewish restrictions
and decrees, then deported from various places to Terezín and from there
on topredetermined destination stations, where they were murdered as part of the so-called
Final Solution to the Jewish Question.
The third group consisted of a small number of Jews who remained in Krnov. They
faced the Aryanization of their property, the liquidation of the Jewish Religious
Community and the Chevra Kadisha association, and intense antisemitic propaganda.
The persecution culminated in the deportations from the Opava government district in
1942 to Terezín and the extermination camps. So-called “Jewish Mischlinge” (persons
of mixed Jewish descent) living in Krnov and its surroundings were likewise placed
under close scrutiny by the Nazi administration.
During the Shoah, roughly half of the interwar number of Krnov's Jews are believed to
have perished, in a variety of places: in Terezín, Auschwitz-Birkenau, the Łódź ghetto,
the camps of Operation Reinhard, Maly Trostinets, Baranavichy, concentration camps
in what is now Germany and Austria, or in the massacres at Rumbula, Kremnička, and
Kalevi-Liiva, among others.
Only a fraction of the survivors returned to Krnov after the war. The attempt to revive
the Jewish Religious Community, whose prewar membership was supplemented by
individuals of Jewish origin who had come to Krnov from Subcarpathian Ruthenia,
Poland, or even Lithuania, can be described as unsuccessful. Some of those who had
fought in the Second World War returned to Krnov once it ended, but became
disillusioned by the course of events at the time. Further developments were
negatively affected by postwar persecution and by emigration after 1948. The
property of Krnov's Jews, previously Aryanized, was subsequently nationalized and,
with few exceptions, was never returned to its original owners or their descendants.
The demise of the traditional Jewish community in Krnov was completed during the
1950s, when the Jewish Religious Community was reduced to a mere synagogue
congregation and subsequently came under the administration of the Jewish
Community of Ostrava.
The memory of the once-significant community has thus been preserved primarily in
archival sources, the testimonies of eyewitnesses, and traces (particularly
architectural ones) within the town, as well as through the descendants of Krnov's
Jews, who today live all over the world — in England, Israel, the USA, Mexico, Australia,
New Zealand, France, Germany, China, Canada, Chile, and Austria.
-- -- --
EXPULSION OF THE GERMAN RESIDENTS
“The Last Train” exhibition
In May 1945, the most brutal and largest military conflict in human history to that
point — the Second World War — came to an end. The unprecedented atrocities
committed by the Nazis against innocent people did not go unanswered. The war had
broken through the limits of humanity, and the accumulated anger and frustration of
the long war years, together with the continuous German occupation of 1938–1945,
resulted in a postwar reckoning.
The Allied powers agreed on population transfers in order to minimize the ethnic
tensions that had been one of the causes of the armed conflicts of the 20th century. In
1945–46, almost 2.2 million Czechoslovak Germans/Austrians were expelled, of whom
1.4 million went to the western occupation zones of Germany and 0.8 million to the
Soviet occupation zone of Germany. Tens of thousands of people, mainly from
southern Moravia and southern Bohemia, were also expelled or fled to Austria.
In addition to the government-organized “transfer” (odsun), there were also excesses
in the form of the so-called “wild transfer” (divoký odsun), during which decentralized
purges and expulsions of the German-speaking civilian population took place. The
same fate befell our German-speaking fellow citizens of Krnov. Some of them were
expelled during the “wild transfer” phase in June 1945 (a march of roughly 3,000
Krnov residents, under harrowing conditions, from Krnov across the Jeseníky mountain
massif to a camp in Králíky); German eyewitnesses estimate around 300 victims of this
wild expulsion. Most Krnov Germans were relocated to three main Krnov camps (below
Cvilín, on the site of a former prisoner-of-war camp; on Opavská Street, on the site of
former Wehrmacht barracks; and in the Hlubčice suburb). Krnov's Germans had to
leave their property behind, hand over their real estate, and enter the camps with only
a minimum of hand luggage. There they were subjected to violent treatment by the
guards — Krnov's civil registers record dozens of “deaths without cause” among the
interned German fellow citizens.
The confiscated property of German families was partly allocated, under official
supervision, to new Czech owners, and partly looted without control and sold on
further into the interior. From the camps in Krnov, our German fellow citizens were
deported by train to the occupation zones in Germany, mostly to the Bavaria and
Baden-Württemberg regions, but also to the Soviet occupation zone. In Krnov itself,
only a few dozen German-speaking residents remained — either partners in mixed
Czech-German marriages, antifascists, German-speaking Jews, or technical specialists
needed for industry. Convicted war criminals and Nazis also remained in
Czechoslovakia — though one should not entertain great illusions about the fairness of
the courts of that time: witnesses who might have testified to the positive conduct of
some of the accused were pressured to remain silent, so as not to expose themselves
to the risk of punishment. Only demonstrable German antifascists were allowed totake
a larger share of their property with them on the transports to Germany, if they
had not chosen to remain in Czechoslovakia instead.
The scale of the postwar retribution provoked disagreement even among humanely
minded segments of the population. A testimony has survived in Krnov from Jewish
native Vojta Levin (Adalbert Löwin), who left the Krnov church in disgust during the
midnight Christmas service in 1945, after the German participants in the service were
told to leave. The excesses were criticized even by former prisoners of concentration
camps and German jails, who found violence against innocent civilians abhorrent,
even though they themselves had suffered unjustly in German camps.
The human, demographic, economic, and spiritual void caused by the murder of the
Jewish population, the wartime destruction of the Czech elites, and the postwar
expulsion of German fellow citizens can never be fully healed.
-- -- --
REPATRIATION OF THE GREEK RESIDENTS
“The Last Train” exhibition
The arrival of the Greek population in Krnov is connected with the Greek Civil War,
which took place between 1946 and 1949 and whose deeper roots reach back to the
period of the Second World War. For Greece, that war began on 28 October 1940,
when Italy, under the leadership of Benito Mussolini, invaded Greek territory from
Albania. The Greek government (Gen. Metaxas, fig. 1) rejected the Italian ultimatum at
the time with the answer “OCHI” (NO), and this day became a Greek national holiday.
The Greek armed forces succeeded not only in halting the Italian army but in pushing
it deep into the Albanian interior. This defeat of fascist Italy is regarded as one of the
first victories over fascism in Europe.
A decisive turning point came on 6 April 1941, when Greece was invaded by the
German army through Yugoslavia and Bulgaria. The country was unable to withstand
an attack on multiple fronts and was defeated. It was subsequently divided into three
occupation zones administered by Germany, Italy, and Bulgaria. The occupation period
brought a sharp decline in the population's standard of living, the economic plundering
of the country, famine, and harsh suppression of any expressions of resistance. These
conditions gave rise to a strong resistance movement, whose symbolic beginning was
the act of two Greek students who, on 30 May 1941, tore down the Nazi flag from the
Acropolis in Athens.
After the departure of the occupying forces in October 1944, the political situation in
Greece grew even more tense. An important role was played by the National
Liberation Front (EAM) and its military wing, ELAS. Great Britain sought to limit
communist influence and keep Greece within the Western sphere of influence, as had
been agreed at the Yalta Conference. (Greek partisans, fig. 2) The 1946 elections,
which the left-wing parties did not take part in, brought the monarchist right to power,
which launched a systematic persecution of the left-leaning population. In response,
the Democratic Army of Greece (DSE) was formed, but it was defeated in 1949.
Immediately afterward, large-scale emigration of the population to neighboring
countries and to the states of the Eastern Bloc followed. Greek refugees had already
begun arriving in Czechoslovakia from 1948. The first wave of migration consisted
mainly of children, who were evacuated from the war zones in order to save their lives.
They were placed in children's homes and reception facilities, where they were
provided with food, clothing, medical care, and education. At the same time,
instruction in the Greek language, history, and traditions was provided, so as to
preserve their awareness of their national identity. Further waves of migration
consisted of adult refugees arriving mainly via Yugoslavia, Albania, and Bulgaria. They
were gradually integrated into the labor process, particularly in industry, agriculture,
and construction. At the end of 1950, more than 12,000 people of Greek origin were
living in Czechoslovakia, a considerable proportion of whom were settled in the
borderregions of Northern Moravia and Bohemia. In the following years, families were also
reunited, among other things with the help of the International Red Cross. (Greek
children in Czechoslovakia, fig. 3)
Krnov and its surroundings became one of the most important centers of Greek
settlement. From 1949 onward, a numerous and cohesive community grew up here,
one that significantly influenced the social and cultural life of the town and the wider
region. For many years, Greek could commonly be heard in the streets, shops, and
restaurants; women often wore traditional dark clothing, and the community
maintained its own customs, social gatherings, and cultural festivities. Greeks would
gather in parks, in restaurants, and in the Silesian House (Slezský dům), which became
one of the centers of community life. After 1974, when an amnesty was declared in
Greece, most of Krnov's Greeks returned to their homeland. Nevertheless, the Greek
trace in Krnov remains to this day and forms a significant part of its modern and
cultural history.
